Please note, this page has been archived and is no longer being updated.
After a successful period as a company manager and company director, Jonathan Evans aged 39, decided to make a career change. He was so enthused by teaching that he decided to apply for a Cambridge CELTA which is the foremost initial teacher training qualification of its kind. CELTA opens doors to teaching English Language worldwide, providing a globally accepted qualification.
Jonathan has a BA (Hons) from the University of Bath in French and Italian and an MSc in Management – again from Bath. Jonathan worked in the British Embassy in Rome initially then joined the automotive industry in South Wales. He trained as an accountant with the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants. He then moved into the role of Managing Director for a Renault franchise. Originally from Maesteg, Jonathan now lives in Cowbridge with his family.
Despite having to travel from Cowbridge to Swansea, Jonathan chose to enlist on the Cambridge CELTA courses run by the Swansea University English Language Training Services (ELTS).
Jonathan said: “I applied for a place on the part-time CELTA course at Swansea University because after much research, I felt that the all round nature of the course and its recognition within the English Language teaching profession would allow me to fulfil my ambition to become a teacher of English to Adults. I was inspired by the hands-on approach to teaching through learning in the classroom, the historical success of the course and the range of modules available.”
Jonathan Evans passed the CELTA with a PASS A, the highest grade possible in this qualification, achieved by less than 5% of candidates in the UK.
Jonathan has now succeeded in obtaining a coveted training place on the “Teach First” Leadership Development Programme. The programme combines working, qualifying and training as a teacher with leadership development training, coaching and mentoring, and a range of networking and internship opportunities. “Teach First” is currently ranked No 2 in the Times Top 100 Graduate Employers for 2014.
Jonathan said: “I made a successful career change through my positive experience with ELTS and CELTA and I would urge others who wish to enter the wonderful world of teaching to sign up to this course.
“I would not have been successful without all the hard work that the Swansea University tutors put into teaching me on the CELTA course. They gave me the skills and platform to enter the teaching profession and for that I am truly grateful.”
- Cambridge CELTA is the foremost initial teacher training qualification of its kind, and ELTS runs the Cambridge CELTA courses in Swansea. CELTA opens doors to teaching English Language worldwide, providing a globally accepted qualification.
- Swansea University English Language Training Services has a proud history of providing a high quality CELTA course, and many of ELTS’ CELTA graduates obtain high quality jobs after finishing their course with ELTS.As well as general applicants, ELTS offers selected COAH students “free” places on the CELTA to boost their employability. For more information about Swansea University’s English Language Training Services (ELTS) go to http://www.swansea.ac.uk/elts
- The Teach First Leadership Development Programme . Teach First is all about becoming a leader and achieving success .The commitment to Teach First is 2 years. The Leadership Development Programme combines working, qualifying and training as a teacher with leadership development training, coaching and mentoring, and a range of networking internship opportunities. After the 2 years around 40% of Teach First graduates choose to seek alternative leadership opportunities outside of education. The leadership skills they develop in schools and through the Teach First leadership development programme makes this pool of talent incredibly sought after. For more information go to http://www.teachfirst.org.uk
- Tuesday 10 March 2015 17.10 GMT
- Wednesday 18 September 2019 10.54 BST
- Swansea University, Tel: 01792 295050